return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

got imported giant leaf tail

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fc3schick87 at Sat Mar 7 23:32:42 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fc3schick87 ]  

i got these for 75 each at a reptile expo. i bought them knowing they are imported and that they have not been treated for internal bugs, the male(which is in the container) is more thin then the female, neither show ribs but the hip could be more full.

the male has curls in its tail which at first apeared to be MBD but at closer look and feeling it between myfingers there were no defects in the bones, and after talking to another keeper, he told me it was due to dehydration, which is also common for imported geckos.

i did ask the guy i bought these from how long they have been in his care, he said about a month.
the female is drinking licking water off when i spray, and the male did this wierd "hang upside down" move and started licking the water drippingn off him. how odd!

the female is MUCH more calm then the male who just wants nothing to do with me, i respect that and i have been leaving him alone.

so heres my question:
reptiles can live fine in the wild with paricites, when reptiles are stressed the paracite level increases thus then causing problems, thus needing to be treated, but if no symptoms are present and they are eating and gaining weight at a normal rate, would it be safe to assume they will not need to be checked? concidering how delicate they seem, and how much pain it would be to try to force the treatment into there mouth, and the following side effects.

i dont want these guys to die, but i also dont want to cause added health concerns if they just dont need treatment.

in 3 weeks i can aford the treatment for both of them, but i dont want to further agrovate them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: got imported giant leaf tail - Zarula, Sun Mar 8 16:22:27 2009