return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

leaftails and water features

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uroplatus Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ac251404 at Wed Mar 25 09:39:28 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ac251404 ]  

I'm brainstorming ideas for an empty 55 gallon aquarium that I have. I would really like to do some sort of plaudarium (water/land) type tank and base it on a Madagascar biotope. My problem is I cannot find much information on how leaftails would handle an area of standing water in the enclosure. Ideally I would like to keep mantellas, leaftails and dwarf cichlids in this enclosure. Dwarf cichlids are south american but require water temps perfectly in line with air temps for the leaftails and mantellas.

The water area will be roughly 1/3 of the 55 gal and 7-9" high giving around 8-10 gallons. I plan on having 2-3 submerged plant species along with some rock features and plenty of branches coming out of the water both to provide cover for the fish and escape routes should a gecko fall in.

The water feature would take up the middle area of the aquarium with land on left and right. I will be separating dry/wet areas with acrylic/plexi siliconed into place. This should allow me to slope one of the dry areas downwards (away from the water) providing more vertical space on one end, but I aim to house either satanics or eban's as they are smaller and will supposedly make better use of the horizontal space of the 55 gal. The cichlids require a decent amount of shade so there will be plants and branches suspended/growing over the water which will also provide more climbing areas for the leaftails.

So what are your opinions on having a water feature like this in a leaftail enclosure?

thanks
ac

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Too many problems I think - PHEve, Wed Apr 8 19:04:03 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: leaftails and water features - crocking, Tue Apr 14 14:04:09 2009