return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Baby RES with RI!!! PLEASE HELP!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: agnesrose at Wed Mar 25 17:26:23 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by agnesrose ]  

This is going to be a little long...

---

Hello everyone,

I am a mommy to two very cute red ear sliders and one of them is sick. Their names are Herbert (the sick one) and Wellington. Right now they currently live in a 10 gallon tank (I'm upgrading to a 20 gallon when I find space in my apt) with the water temperature at 78F and the basking area at 90F.

When I purchased Herbert and Wellington, I noticed that Herbert was a little odd. He would float awkwardly; he would be balancing on his forelegs or swim all sideways. Since we was eating and swimming normally most of the time, I overlooked it and nicknamed him the "special" or "clumsy" turtle. Three days ago, I noticed Herbert was basking more the usual and not eating...I even caught him yawning a few times. After doing my research, I realized he had all the symptoms of RI and I felt really stupid for overlooking it before.

...It's getting to the point where Wellington is starting to outgrow Herbert and it makes me sad looking at him because he looks all dried up under the basking light. Sometimes, Wellington would push Herbert in the water. I like to think it's his gesture of helping him feel better.

I called vets all over San Jose, and only one specializes in reptiles. The only problem is, I do NOT have the money to get a consultation right now. I worry that by the time I get the money, it'll be too late. Are their any overthecounter drugs i can purchase to remedy the situation? Is their anything I can do to get him to eat without the care of a vetrinarian?

Here are the things I have done so far:

-Change the water
-Raise the temperature
-Attempt to handfeed Herbert (wouldn't eat)

...I'm beginning to run out of ideas and it's making me really sad because I did put a lot of effort in raising them. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

-Agnes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Cichlids and Sliders - LKitsch, Sun Mar 29 20:51:44 2009
<< Previous topic:  PH - faerie822, Sun Mar 22 12:55:50 2009