return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Don't get too concerned about non-feeder

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Sun Mar 29 13:47:27 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

As Dan mentioned earlier, a couple of months is not a big issue for young greens. I have seen neonates go 4 to 6 months without feeding and suddenly take off and eat every time offered. I have had captive born start feeding anywhere from 1 to 5 months of age, with 2 to 3 months being about typical. My weight studies over the last 10 years or so have shown that non-feeding neonate greens lose about 2 grams per week of body weight, and that is with a typical birth weight of around 250 grams. This gives them quite a bit of time to settle in before they start feeding. Most will usually start on chicks as a first meal, but that is also based on when they are ready to start feeding. A few will start on rodents, but that is not as typical as with birds. Some will more readily eat different types of birds as well ( duckling, young sparrow, finch, pigeon chick, etc.), but chicken chicks are usually used as they have the easiest availability, and most greens will readily eat them.

I am definitely not in disagreement on the use of a pool to get a green to start feeding, but my experience shows that it is most likely not needed except possibly in an unusual case. I would also avoid reptile and amphibian prey if possible due to parasite concerns. In my opinion, a secure hide is more important to a young green than a pool or about anything else to get them relaxed and established enough to start feeding. A low profile hide box that is just large enough for them to fit under comfortably is best. Prey should be left in overnight, but always make sure you place the prey item in the cage before the lights go out. I know it does not make sense, but greens are extremely nervous in the dark, and are much more easily startled at night than during daylight hours. Not sure on the reason, but my guess would be that most predators of young greens in the wild are more active at night. Additionally, greens are not truly nocturnal, but actually crepuscular, being most active at dawn and dusk.

Not sure if you have wild caught or captive born young, but the wild caught greens will obviously usually take longer to acclimate and start feeding. Sounds like one of them will not be a problem, and I would give the other some more time to come around before getting too concerned at this point. Your set up seems good as long as the hides aren’t too large and the non-feeder is in good health. I would be curious as to the weight and length of these young if you are able to get them sometime. Thanks and let us know how it goes.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  please help feeding a 6' green? - spmoberl, Mon Mar 30 23:49:03 2009
<< Previous topic:  My female green anaconda growth pics - snakeman41185, Wed Mar 25 02:45:39 2009