return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

toads spawning

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kaplumbaga at Wed Apr 1 05:39:08 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kaplumbaga ]  

Despit its being so quiet here that I think noone is visiting I shall plough ahead with my good news.
My pair of common european toads, Bufo bufo, spawned last night.
I decided 13 days ago that their behaviour was slightly odd as they were in a terrestrial set up and seemed to be acting slightly differently. It was hard to put my finger on it but they kept being in different corners of their tank despite the recent cold weather which should have left them simply hiding under cover. I put them into an aquatic set up and the pair swam around for a day and a half before the male went into amplexus. The male was a worry as he came close to death last year by refusing to eat until I separated him and fed him a constant diet of meal worms until he put on some bulk again. I find that males often starve in company with females as they seem slower to notice food and less able to eat large items such as earthworms. After nearly two weeks in the aquatic set up including four days when the pair sat on their floating raft and the male almost relaxed his grip they finally spawned last night. The pair are now back in their land set up and I shall be watching the spawn carefully to see if the male has performed his duty. It is just about the correct spawning season for these toads in Northern England, usually the end of March first week of April where they originate. I may attach a photo soon although I know we've all seen hundreds.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: toads spawning - otis07, Thu Apr 9 22:56:38 2009