return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: It's all about the crack.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Sun Apr 26 01:57:57 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>>>>>>>L. zonata does not live in rock crevices year round. They only spend the winter in such places. When the weather has warmed up, they disperse into the woodland areas surrounding the rock outcrops and they are exceedingly difficult to find once they have dispersed from their winter retreats. This is a well known fact.
>>
>>Really. You have data to support this or have you just been listening to Hubbs again. >>

I don't have personal data to support it, but this is common knowledge, and it was presented as fact in Mitch Mulks' now defunct web site. Of course you don't have data to contradict what Mitch Mulks wrote either.

>>>>>>>Therefore Rick Staub's hypothesis that the injuries seen in wild zonata are the result of attacks by predators while they are inside shallow crevices would need to be supported by evidence. His theory is that such attacks can drive the more experienced snakes into deeper crevices through learning. That is certainly possible but there is little evidence that any predator (other than human snake collectors) routinely hunt the rock crevices for L. zonata.
>>
>>Really. You have data to support negligible hunting of rocks by predators of L zonata?>>

Last time I checked, I haven't seen any skunks or redtailed hawks with crow bars looking for L. zonata. I reckon a grizzly bear would have the strength to pry open a rock crevice, but what century was it that the last grizzly was shot in California?

>>>>>>>>>In fact, some of snakes that were caught by Rick Staub and then released were found in the same easily accessible crevices in subsequent years. Rick even cut off parts of the tails of these individuals to collect DNA samples, and yet such injuries did not cause these snakes to look for deeper and more inacessible crevices. Therefore, the available evidence argues against Rick Staub's own hypothesis. Rick Staub's own snakes did not learn. May be he did not apply enough negative reinforcement! LOL
>>
>>Only a single capture for tail clipping. Maybe the remainder of times they did not associate with a predation event. Of course I only said that the adult females were wily. Unless you have hacked my data you would not know what animals I was recapturing. FYI mainly sub-adults and males.
>>
>>
>>-----
>>Rick Staub

That is interesting data. I do not have access to your data of course, but I have watched your video in which you showed one of those tail clippings. Ouch.

The video also showed you removing a rock with an L. zonata inside, and IIRC, the snake was also there the last time you visited that locality. Apparently the snake that you recaptured was not given enough negative reinforcement. LOL

I wonder if you are going to claim that L. zonata live in rock crevices year round just so you can win an argument.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: It's all about the crack..... - Rick Staub, Mon Apr 27 02:51:35 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: It's all about the crack..... - Rick Staub, Sun Apr 26 00:28:36 2009