return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Another species recommendation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Mon Apr 6 09:10:31 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

>>Is this a decent temperature range to keep a tortise? What species would be best? I've had my eye on a "greek" tortise at the pet store. I believe it's a Golden Greek.

That sounds OK - but is that the range during the day or over a season? If there is a period where the temperature is constantly over 80, that might stress out a tortoise. They would prefer some variation over the day. If the temps are constantly 70F, you can provide more warmth with a heat lamp during the day. But if it's always warm it's hard to provide a cooler spot.

As for which species - I'd recommend getting something that is captive bred. A Golden Greek from a pet store probably is wild caught. Wild caught specimens have a higher risk of illness and may not adapt well to captivity.

>>
>>I understand that heat lamps and wet shelters are important. I'm less concerned about keeping the turtle warm than I am about fighting the humidity. I was hoping that the golden greek turtle would thrive in dry air with an occasional bath. Am I correct?

Most houses with central heat and air are very dry - so we compensate by providing water bowls (tortoises need to drink) and humid (not wet) hide spots. I also give my tortoises a soak once a week.

>>
>>Also, I'm excited to grow a little garden to feed the guy. What seeds could I plant for him (kale? spinach?) Has anyone had luck with frozen greens in the winter, even ones that were home-grown and frozen?
>>

Spinach is not a good staple food. Weeds from a chemical free yard are often best. Dandelions (flowers and leaves), clover (ditto), plantain (plantago species), etc. As for greens I feed my russians collards, dark-leafed lettuces, turnip greens, kale. I just go to the grocery store, but if you can grow these things - go for it! I'd try to grow things that *you* also want to eat. One or two tortoises really don't eat that much. That's why I rely on my yard weeds through much of the spring and summer. Easy and cheap.

Once source on tortoise nutrition is www.tortoisetrust.org

>>Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>Mike C

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Another species recommendation - mpcmpc, Mon Apr 6 21:47:34 2009

<< Previous Message:  Another species recommendation - mpcmpc, Sun Apr 5 18:29:39 2009