return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pics of Fiji boas in the wild

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Candoia (Ground) Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: helenthereef at Thu Apr 23 18:48:34 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by helenthereef ]  

The wild boas found here are anything from 4 - 6 feet, and are mostly females. (I know this because several of us are desperately looking for males to breed with some captive females.) We rarely seem to find wild males, and I'm beginning to think it is because they really are MUCH smaller than the females. I have two young males now 2.5 years old and they are still less than 3 feet long.

In the wild they are mostly found in shrubbery and small trees, and mine like to climb if I provide hides high in the tank, so I presume they are frequently arboreal. They do this defensive cobra-style pose only when confronted on open ground: and will actually strike and bite cobra-style.

They feed on geckos, rats, mynah birds, and fruit bats (BIG flying fox type bats)in the wild. In captivity we rely on F/T geckos, day old chick, and I have found mine take chicken hearts happily.

I agree their head shape (especially the black one) looks much more like a venomous snake and certainly the Fijians are very afraid of them. However, when you do come across them in the bush, they dart away VERY quickly and only offer to bite if cornered. Many of them are docile and handle-able immediately on capture.

We are currently feeding the black female up for the next breeding season so if we can get some suitable sized males we're hoping for some interesting babies. I'm just a bit afraid of putting my 90cm long babies in with this big mama!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pics of Fiji boas in the wild - helenthereef, Thu Apr 23 18:55:28 2009 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: Pics of Fiji boas in the wild - viper8red, Thu Apr 23 14:40:21 2009