return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Turtle Research Project

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: alternarush at Thu May 28 16:55:16 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by alternarush ]  

I thought you all might enjoy this:

n addition to documentaries, educational programs and short films about non-profits, the non-profit group Small Scale Films is embarking on its first summer research project. The idea is to give a local student the opportunity to see what field biology, specifically herpetology, is all about with the hopes of steering them towards a career in science, AND to give a student interested in wildlife documentaries a subject to film and some guidance.

The project I chose was a mark and recapture study of the false map turtle in Johnson County, Kansas. I chose this project based on the fact that Curtis Schmidt and Travis Taggart at Fort Hays State University need tissues for this species, and because it has not been recorded in the county before. This assured that their project would have a real impact on a professional study and that the interns would get a county record as a result of it.

This summer's project interns are
PHIL Bellaci (probably spelled that name wrong)
and Dan Burdette.

Phil is a sophomore at Shawnee Mission Northwest Highschool and works at a local pet store. He is interested in a career with animals, but was not sure what was available.

Dan is a film student at KU who has a passion for reptiles and amphibians. He would like to make a career of filming these creatures.

The boys spent a total of about 18 hours building 5 basking type traps in my garage:
Dan Cutting Foam:

Traps drying:

We used Great Stuff to fill any holes in the traps:

This stuff is great!

It took us three different trips to get all five traps out as only two traps would fit on the canoe at once.
No turtles were caught, but two days ago Phil observed a large adult False Map Turtle sitting on trap number one.
Sadly, when we checked the trap later, she was not in it.

TODAY 5/28/09 the boys went out alone to check the traps and came home with a county record and our target species:

Turtle Number ONE:
Graptemys psuedogeographica

And the boys with their county record:

I will keep you posted on their progress, thanks for looking, and thanks for supporting Small Scale Films Inc.
Dan Krull
Watch a Trailer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]