return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: a new enclosure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Tue Jul 21 09:09:22 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

I think it depends on the torts.

I have two captive bred russians that are sub-adults at 4.5 to 5 inches. They are generally happy in a 7 sq ft plastic tub I have, but then they've never lived in anything larger and have never lived outdoors.

If you have two wild-caught tortoises, used to roaming the steppes of Central Asia, they will probably not be happy in 7 sq ft. They will either spend a lot of time scratching around and trying to get out, or they will shut down.

Try for 10 sq ft if you can. That's only 5x2 or 4x2.5 (or some variation thereof) and would allow you to light it with standard shop lights.

If you must go smaller, try to make the space interesting. Create places to crawl over and under, things that will allow one tortoise to get away from the other one for awhile. In fact, varied terrain is good for any size setup.

If you have a male and a female, there may come a time when you'll have to seperate them. Males can be very persistent about mating, and can stress out and injure females who can't get away.

I once kept two females and one male in a 60 sq ft outdoor pen with rocks, small logs, and a hide house. The male still pestered the females endlessly.

Good luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: a new enclosure - banjobert, Tue Jul 21 11:18:21 2009

<< Previous Message:  a new enclosure - banjobert, Mon Jul 20 22:15:32 2009