return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

A couple of Texas indigo questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bryant_King at Fri Aug 14 21:41:02 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bryant_King ]  

A while back I picked up a great little pair of Texas indigos- last years babies. It was a great price and I am thrilled with the animals. I grew up catching Eastern indigos here in southwest Florida. I had owned a baby black tailed cribo years ago. I've kept a lot of boas and pythons and am no novice, but these are my first Texas indigos. I thought you guys might help me get these guys dialed in a little faster than I could figure it out on my own.

I've got them in 28qt Sterilite shelves in my garage, which ranges from low to upper 80's F this time of year. Their cages are prone to some condensation forming, especially if any of the water spills, in other words, fairly high humidity.

My first question is in comparison to my previous black tail cribo experience. My black tail cribo was an absolute chow hound. I could hold it by mid body and lower its head down into a tray of pinkies and it would eat them one after the other. These Texas indigos, in comparison, are shy feeders. They will not eat immediately when a mouse is placed in their cage. A dead mouse left overnight will be gone in the morning, but they refuse to eat in my sight. Is this normal? Is this an age related thing?

They are experiencing rapid shed cycles. If they were boa constrictors, I would suspect mites (likewise with the appetite reduction). I see no evidence of mites, and like every snake that enters my collection regardless of source, I prophylactically treated the cage with permethrin when they arrived. I see no obvious skin irritations or defects and there is no supplemental heat source to burn them. I considered a sensitivity to the permethrin, but I am skeptical about that. No retained shed anywhere.

I am wondering if the humidity or temperatures are too high for this subspecies. I've got blood pythons, boa constrictors, and mussuranas in identical set up and they are all thriving.

Any thoughts from more experienced keepers of Texas indigos?

I will eventually figure it out, but you guys may have the answers right now.

Thanks,

Bryant King

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A couple of Texas indigo questions - steve fuller, Sat Aug 15 06:10:00 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: A couple of Texas indigo questions - DanielsDen, Sat Aug 15 10:20:24 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: A couple of Texas indigo questions - BradleySturgeon, Sat Aug 15 23:33:48 2009