return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

my ideas that have worked for me...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: riiotgrrl at Fri Sep 4 11:53:30 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by riiotgrrl ]  

It sounds like you have oversupplemented her. Adult cresteds need MAYBE a calcium supplement once a week, especially if she isnt breeding.

With all those vitamins, her system is overloaded. I just heard from a friend who breeds them that they were doing the same thing you were...giving fruit mixture, crested diet, crickets, minera all, calcium with d3, repashi, ect ect... and they had 4 or 5 die from burning their insides out with vitamin A and D poisioning. She is probably in some seious pain and thus not eating.
Also, with all the calcuim, her liver is probably failing. This is what i would do to save her:

1) pick up some pedialyte. The clear stuff. And a tiny syringe (the needleless kind obviously). There are some calories in that, plus it will help to flush her system a bit. CAREFULLY open her mouth with a plastic spoon or a peice of cardboard..be care ful not to cut her or harm her jaw. (this is tricky..., but doable) when she opens her mouth wider, insert the syringe and SLOWLY give her about half.....be careful not to asperate her. Let her swallow, and breathe, and then give her a bit more. do this 2x a day.

2) in a few days of hydrating her, i would pic up something called Hill's A/D diet from your vet. It comes in a can, and you can portion it out and freeze what you dont need...
This is something for most all carnivores. I have rehabbed many an animal with this. take a small ammount and mix it with water to make a bit of a soup. Do the same with this as you did with the pedialyte, only once every other day. Make sure to go really slow when you feed her. And space it out so her system doesnt get overloaded.

This will help get some callories into her so maybe she will come back to where she was.....DO NOT ADD ANY SUPPLEMENTS TO THIS WHILE YOU TREAT HER!!!

and, when she begins to eat on her own, supplement her with calcium with D3 once a week from then on. I would try to get her onto Repashi once whe is back to normal...leave it in her tank for 2 days at a time....mix it only with water, no baby food. That is a complete diet.....if she doesnt respond to it, drop a bit on her nose and she will lick it off.
-----
"Brains for dinner, brains for lunch. Brains for breakfast, brains for brunch. Brains for every single meal; why can't we have some GUTS?"-Misfits

1.0 ball python- Azazel
0.0.1 Yellow phase ATB- Devilin Hisseyes
0.4 leos- Boji, Sanjae, Fae, Azra
1.1.5 crested geckos- Jubeh and Inari, Avalon, Vajra, Pheonix, and 2 hatchlings
1.1.1 gargoyle geckos- Acacia,Osiris, and Enoki
0.0.1 flying gecko- Malarchy
1.0 leucistic texas ratsnake-Ojo
0.1 albino kenyan sand boa- Akasha
1.0 xanthic kenyan sand boa- Ashoka
1.1 whites tree frogs- Sifaka and Eikon
0.1 Transpecos ratsnake- Cleo
0.1.2 Senegal chameleons- Ambaji, The Chosen One, and Vertigo
1.0 Ruthven's X Thaeri king- Kemushi
0.2 pacific parrolets- Mishka and Kya
1.1 cats- Cairo and Oberon
1.0 crown tail betta- Lazarus
1.0 Husband (hes my favorite, but i dont let the 'kids' know that. )

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Crestie Problems - sportygurl3392, Wed Sep 2 18:25:41 2009