return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Desert Iguanas eye problem!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BillsIggys at Sat Sep 5 19:15:13 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BillsIggys ]  

Its been a few years since I have posted on King Snake, but I have some questions I hope someone can help me with! I have (4) Desert Iguanas.(2) I have had nearly 7 years. And the other (2) 5 years. I had two I lost in 2005 to fungal infection! I have not had much problems with the other (4) except for one he had a bacterial infection 3 years ago, but with medication he got better!
But now, they are having problems with an eye condition. In one of my DI's, and just yesterday I discovered another one appearing to have the same problem. He isn't even in the same cage! The appearance of the problem is their eye looks droopy, the membrane in the corner of the eye is enlarged pushing the eyeball over to one side! It's not kidney failure. She has had this for several months now. I took her to the vet back in July. She is suppose to have knowledge in taking care of exotics. She said she had conjuntivitis, pink eye in people. She gave me an ointment called BNPH Ophth. It has Neomycin, Polymyxin B sulfates, Bacitracin zinc and Hydrocortisone Ophthalmic. The funny part about it is that about the same time, I started having eye problems! Both my eyes itched and burned, and I felt like grit was in them. I have had pink eye before and I thought I had pink eye! I still have the problem, and plan to go see a Dr next week. The ointment I give her seems to help, but when I quit using it the problem comes back. Now one in the other cage appears to have it! They are completely isolated! I am wondering if I gave it to him! I have even put cod liver oil in the first ones eye, and put it in her food. I hear that is suppose to help eyes! She eats well, is gaining weight, and acts well and alert. She will rub her eye on things like it is bothering her.
I know pink eye is a virus, I don't think there is a cure for it. You just have to let it got through its course. I don't use any UVA or UVB lights, just regular incandescent lights. However I take them outside almost every day and let them get an hour or so of real sunlight. I feed them Romaine lettuce, carrots, field greens, some fruits, and meal worms. Most of the time they only eat romaine and meal worms. I live in Florida, and wonder if the high humidity is not good for them! Most of the time they are in my house where the humidity is lower! I have posted a photo of her left eye with no eye problem, and right eye with eye problem! Has anyone had a problem like this? Or heard of a problem like this? Is it life threatening? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-----
Our Desert Iguanas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Desert Iguanas eye problem! - laurarfl, Sun Sep 6 09:53:57 2009