return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Easterns Hatching Out.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: copperhead13 at Fri Sep 18 01:38:10 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by copperhead13 ]  

I started with 10 seemingly good eggs.
Then 6 went bad pretty quick (2 weeks).

At approx. 6 weeks, one of the remaing four started to sink in, and eventually went bad.

All 6 of the eggs were found to have no embryos, thus not fertile.

3 hatched out, one had complications. I think I "scared' it out of the egg too early. Instead of going back in the egg, it must have left the egg. (A similar event happened with another breeder I spoke with). Because the snake left the egg too soon, the umbilical opening didn't have time to "pinch off" the yolk sac and "placenta". This snake lost all of it's yolk
through the umbilical opening, which needed to be stitched shut by a vet.

So far so good with the patient, If I can get it to eat in the next two weeks it should be ok.

I've bred a variety of snakes in the past, and I can say now that Indigo snakes are not the same. This whole experience has been like starting anew. If I can offer any advice to future breeders of indigos it would be this... Indigo snakes not only need more time to breed and incubate, they also need much more time to hatch from the the egg. I would definitly not eagerly pull a recently emerged hatchling out of the incubation box either; but rather let it rest some 6 - 8 hours afterwards. I would recommend at least 48 hours after they pip to even consider poking around or removing them from the incubator.

BTW all are reds, like both of the parents. They have not been sexed yet.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Easterns Hatching Out. - sethsmith, Wed Sep 23 15:15:27 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Easterns Hatching Out. - sethsmith, Wed Sep 16 15:17:04 2009