return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

New Masticophis Keeper

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tokaysrnice at Fri Sep 25 23:33:16 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tokaysrnice ]  

So I have yearned to keep some of these snakes for a long time now. Seeing as no one is really captive breeding these I had to go catch my own, and have a buddy catch one for me.

First up my Male Coachwhip Masticophis f piceus/testaceus/cingulam
Pretty red and is starting to show some black tick marks on his fore body, I would be pretty thrilled if his head started turning black...

Next up my male Stripped Whipsnake Masticophis taeniatus
This years hatchling and around 14"

And finally my female Sonoran WhipsnakeMasticophis bilineatus
Also a recent hatchling and the same size as the taenaitus

They are all currently eating Uta and Scelops and the Coachwhip has started to show some promise of switching to mice. The little Sonoran took a dead lizard today after it had a heart attack in his cage. This leads me to believe with some lizard paste he could switch over pretty easily.

They are being kept in larger cages with hotsspots at 100-105 the ambient in the enclosures is 85 and they all have cool spots around 75-80.

Very inquisitive snakes the whipsnake sits out and watches me move about the room. The Coach looks for a bit before slinking back into his respective hide. They are all pretty fresh so I hope to see the inquisitive attitudes I've heard so much about.

Thanks for looking, I'm really excited to keep these snakes and can bet I'll be looking to pair them up. I think I'm pretty good with general care but if anyone has some unique insight I'm more than happy to hear it.

Nate

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Masticophis Keeper - Druckerb, Fri Oct 2 05:50:58 2009