return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sorry Vic!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VICtort at Sun Oct 18 10:23:12 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VICtort ]  

Putting them together will require cautious observation. To wit: a friend who had a breeding pair of D. couperi that always got along famously, one day in the fall he put them together while cleaning a cage, and to his surprise and horror, the male attacked her and made a 2" jagged laceration on her neck, down to the muscle tissue. He was shocked, never having witnessed agression prior. Fortunately she healed up nicely. He said the attack was so fast and savage he could do nothing to stop the damage, the mistake was made in the casual introduction... I could hardly believe the bad cut, I am amazed how well it healed without sutures, which I would have considered.

Frank Retes, a very experienced herp breeder believes many snakes can be kept together, that they do this in the wild, including ophiophagous kingsnakes, but they have to establish a sort of social bond. Easiest if you raise them together from hatchlings. A "stranger" kingsnake, not part of the social group, may be attacked and eaten. Otherwise, careful introduction, i.e. after hibernating together in some taxa, maybe after both are well fed and at night? Are others keeping multiple Drys in the same enclosure, year around, same sex? I had a friend back in the '70's who kept a pair of wild caught couperi together year'round and they bred and did great. Good luck, let us know how it goes if you try it. Vic H. Imperial Valley, Ca.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sorry Vic! - dan felice, Sun Oct 18 10:52:22 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Sorry Vic! - tokaysrnice, Sun Oct 18 11:01:01 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Sorry Vic! - DanielsDen, Thu Oct 22 11:34:37 2009

<< Previous Message:  Sorry Vic! - tokaysrnice, Sun Oct 18 09:03:59 2009