return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New babies, any advice is welcome

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rockratt at Fri Nov 20 15:33:24 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rockratt ]  

Just noticed your post. HOPE all is well with your babies. I will give out some ideas/plans in case you are having issues still or at all.

When they are first born seperate them from the mom about 12 hours after or less. Put them in a small container like a clear plastic showbox or small tank. Put a little heat on the 1/3 of it. Place a papertowl that is DAMP/moist (NOT wet) inside until they shed their first shed.

After they are born you can TRY to feed them within a couple days. QUITE A FEW will NOT eat at this time. Do NOT woryry. MOST will readily feed after their first shed which will come about 1-2 weeks after birth.

I would recommend trying to feed them something that you would think would be a little too big. Try to feed them pinky mice that JUST started growing hair. Last year I tried feeding day old pink, few day old pinks and was having a hard time to get ANY of them too eat (It was my first rosy babies last year). I heard about trying to feed them bigger and IT WORKED.
So THIS year I was able to get 3 out of 5 to eat before their first shed with a pinkie with some hair. All ive at after their shed, now they keep eating great.

IF for some reason you cannot get them to eat after a month after birth then cool them down to 55-60 degrees (turn off the heat). Some rosys babies do not eat right away, if this happens you NEED to cool them down (brumate/hibernate them) of they will continue to lose weight.In the wild a baby rosy may get one meal in them before they brumate for the winter. It is kind of engrained in them sometimes from my experience. Which you may have seen with your adults that Even adults may go off feed during winter months or slow down eating EVEN if the heat and day/night light cycles are about 12 hours (Using a light inside the room to simulate longer daylight hours). This can cause too much weight loss during winter. Where if they are brumated they will slow down enough to not lose weight. WHEN baby rosys come up from brumation (I would ONLY keep them down for a month or two personally) they tend to be GREAT eaters.

HOPE all is good for you and your babies. If you have any issues just reply here or shoot me an email and I can help you out.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New babies, any advice is welcome - SDPG_SSM, Mon Nov 9 14:30:16 2009 *HOT TOPIC*