return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cornball, can it be done?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hybrid Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: aspidites at Thu Dec 3 18:05:18 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by aspidites ]  

**It puts others in the mindset that since they -can- do something, then they also -should- do that. I apologize if I wasn't forward enough with that, I was tired when I posted. Like I stated in the post after, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Is breeding a cornball ethical, well sure, I guess if you wanna argue that, I wont fight it. But logical? No, not really. **

It really is pathetic when people try to reduce this argument to 'should we' and also make statements like 'who would want such an animal anyway?' You do realize that you aren't really making an argument, right? It is all personal opinion/desire. I would be interested in such an animal. Why? Precisely because of it's uniqueness. It would be something odd that is unusual. It is not, as you claim, simply for bragging rights that you were the first to produce it. It is to see what the unique combination of genetic material would create and to see if the actual product is what we might have dreamed in our minds it would be.

**My comment was never about -owning- hybrids, it was about the pointless breeding of two perfectly good seperate snake species.**

Why is it pointless exactly? Isn't that your opinion? To me it would have a point. Also, isn't it your opinion that the two parental species are perfect? Maybe I don't happen to like either of the parental species, but I'm in love with their progeny. Isn't that alright?

**Not to mention how messed up it would be with the genetic differences between the two...**

How do you know it would be messed up? What kind of studies have you done? People might have thought that about jungle corns - but they aren't messed up and to some extent do better than either parent. Ever heard of hybrid vigor?

**I dont give a flying monkey if you want to own a hybrid, or never do. I was arguing against the -breeding- of the two species...it just seems really pointless to me, and thus illogical. **

Why is it illogical?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cornball, can it be done? - lep1pic1, Thu Dec 3 19:41:48 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Cornball, can it be done? - H_nasicus, Mon Nov 30 08:19:53 2009