return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I've had the same problem

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Leopard Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Joleena at Sat Dec 5 19:38:53 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Joleena ]  

HI. Ive kept leos for 15 years (yeah, its the majority of my life, but still) I have had two of my animals have this or a very similar problem. Cloudy, filmy white eyes. I have an amazing reptile vet and he had me use a prescribed eye wash (just saline, nothing special) and irrigate the eyes, which actually sort of washed away a literal film from the eye. I also used a cotton swab soaked with eye wash to wipe at the very corners of the eye to remove some excess film. If this works, then it is possible that this was caused by skin being left in the eyes after shedding, or by sand. I have always been a sand advocate until this happened to my second leo, at which time i switched to reptile carpet. It just wasnt worth the risk to me anymore. Also, if your animal has lost weight, is lethargic, or is not eating, try soaking it in warm beef broth (sounds ridiculous, Im aware, but trust me) once a day, make sure the tank is plenty warm, and if the animal doesnt eat after a week of this try force feeding using a syringe and a mashed up mixture of either mealworms and water, or what I used that my vet suggested was wet kitten food (yes, feline) with some water. Just take the syringe to the edge of the leos lip and king of wedge it in. I did this (eye wash, beef bath, force feeding) religiously for three weeks and my leo recovered AMAZINGLY. Please give these a try and I wish you the best of luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Help! Cloudy/infected eyes on my leo! - TruckerEarl, Sat Nov 28 15:58:54 2009