return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Question of concern for the Dry Family

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tokaysrnice at Wed Jan 13 10:31:24 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tokaysrnice ]  

My first thought to cure your nose rub is adding more snug fitting hides, Those boxes you have in there are of little use to your snakes. I like to use plastic house gutters in my Dry enclosures and 90% of the time they hide in them, even if I think there's no way they can fit.

If more snug fitting hides fails to remedy the problem I would double check temps, ambient temps over 75 will cause Drymarchon to be very restless. I give very warm basking spots (90 ) but my ambient never gets over 75. My snakes only seem to cruise when they're hungry, thirsty or about to deuce.

As you know Dry's are very strong snakes, while rooting through the aspen if they come to a corner they will keep pushing on it. If you add decor that is similar to tunnels they feel like they don't need to root as much. IMO

I would also suggest adding some humid hide boxes, blacked out sweater boxes with 4" of Sphagnum moss works very well. I would think nice hydrated scales would be a lot less likely to be damaged than dried out ones.

Good luck, I hope we were able to help out,

Nate

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Question of concern for the Dry Fami - BradleySturgeon, Thu Jan 14 15:06:49 2010

<< Previous Message:  Question of concern for the Dry Family - BradleySturgeon, Tue Jan 12 10:09:48 2010