return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Kenyan Sand Boa problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Wed Jan 27 13:15:45 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

It has only been 4 days, so there is no need to worry yet. Better to take advice on setting up the cage just right.

I'm not a breeder of these snakes, but I have kept a few here and there and with great success. I have found that they do well for me when kept (talking babies here) in a shoebox and a heat pad over about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottom depending on how cool the room is. I kept the heater at around 90-100 range on mine (it varied a bit, no problem with these snakes.)

I found that mine either liked a substrate they could bury into, or newspaper they could crawl under and "feel" the weight of on their backs. However, I experimented with 1-inch diameter PVC pipe and they used that to hide in and feed in as well. These snakes like to be mostly concealed, whether in PVC pipe or paper or wood chips. And they do fine even if the cages are kept mostly dark and have very little ventilation.

It seems with these snakes, the simpler the setup, the better. They do not need alot of TLC or room in the cage. They are shy and may need a good 5 days to settle in when new however.

If you are doing the glass tank thing, I urge you to go plastic shoebox for these snakes as described above, especially for babies. Much easier, and the snake will feel more secure.

One last tip: Sometimes after shipping or living in a pet shop, even a sandboa can get dehydrated. A 5 minute soak in about 1/4 inch or less of clean water will get the snake well hydrated. Then, if you house it in a shoebox, it will be easy for the snake to maintain hydration. When hydrated, warm and secure, the snake will eat. And when hungry, they attack dead food with force. BTW, don't hold sandboas on their necks right behind the head, they seem sensitive there and may bite or jerk suddenly.
-----
Mark

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Kenyan Sand Boa problems - CBH, Wed Jan 27 14:08:48 2010

<< Previous Message:  Kenyan Sand Boa problems - SandBoa100, Tue Jan 26 22:09:18 2010