return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Iguana questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ps at Tue Feb 2 15:28:36 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ps ]  

I plan on building him an enclosure that will be 6 feet high and probably 4-5 feet wide/long maybe bigger. I will be keeping him in the 55 for a few months at least, but I'm not sure how fast they grow and I do not want to keep him in it past double his current size. I'm not sure what his current size is exactly, I havent wanted to handle him to measure him because he seems so stressed out.

I do have a list of good foods for him, but I dont have a list of things to avoid and that would be amazing if you wouldnt mind letting me know that

I went out and purchased a variety of greens cut them up and froze them in individual servings so all I have to do is open the bag and dump it in his dish

The UV tube is brand new - picked it up yesterday morning and pulled an old aquarium hood out of storage for it because I didnt think his basking light was going to provide enough uv. I plan on replacing it annually. As soon as the weather is nice again (probably may) I will be taking him out daily in a mesh carrier until he is tame enough to stay with me and big enough for a harness. I hope to eventually be able to have him perch on my shoulder while I take the dogs for their walk, but I expect it will take a few years before he is comfortable doing something like that - as for right now the dogs do not know he exists and they will not know about him for a good long time. My dogs and my cats are not permitted in my spare room at all because it has always been the "bird room" where I keep my 2 indian ringneck parokeets.

Any extra help you can think of would be wonderful thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Iguana questions - Varanus1980, Tue Feb 2 18:28:38 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: New Iguana questions - varanus1980, Tue Feb 2 14:00:59 2010