return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

KSB-Albino Shed Problem Anery-PAcing

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jeffroe334 at Tue Feb 2 11:47:23 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jeffroe334 ]  

I say disaster becasue I really got concerned. I have two KSB's about 9 months old male and female in a 10 gallon tank.

I keep reynolds wrap around three quarters of the lid to keep heat in. Temps around 90-95. Not a big water bowl. Like half size of a standard coffee cup.

The female sheds in one whole piece or several pieces with no problems. the female is constantly pacing the cage. Even after eating she is always like looking for something and trying to escape by standing on the last two inches of her tail.

The Albino male doens't shed right. He popped his head out and from the back of hi head down he just let the rest of the shed stay on for about a week. I dug him out and wet him a few times.

I tried soaking he didn't like that at all. I held him in a handful of moist paper towels and let the water run lukewarm on him and I manually pulled the shed off.

I think I was hurting him in some spots where it seemed stuck on. He looked dehydrated so I had no choice but to "help him."

So is there a better way to help this guy shed? Does anyone keep moss and a moist hide around for shedding time. Moving the water bowl closer to the heat doesn't work for these guys.

Lastly he did eat and the bulge helped loosen the shed as it travelled down to his belly and then i did the water thing nd paper towels.

He looked so dehydrated like mouth partially opened, i put him in the cage and set his head in the water bowl. He left his head in there for a minute b4 i thought he was drowning or to weak or to dumb to pull his head out. he finally snapped out of it and went into the sand where he rarely is seen unlike the female.

how can i help this guy stay hydrated and keep him from the shed problems. I keep these guys in a tank of crushed walnut shells. I don't feed them in the cage.

Any advice would be great.

shed problem-male
pacing problem (maybe not a problem)-female.

thanks

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: KSB-Albino Shed Problem Anery-PAcin - CBH, Tue Feb 2 13:28:00 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: KSB-Albino Shed Problem Anery-PAcing - markg, Tue Feb 2 14:32:32 2010