return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Burm Will Not Eat On it's Own

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Tue Feb 9 18:57:09 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

Hi!
It sounds like the snake hasn't been getting enough nutrition to fully recover and it's been more or less hangin' in limbo all this time.

Based on the fact that its still alive after all this time I see a will to live. It appears to be fighting death. There are some medical conditions in which I could justify not prolonging a snake's suffering, however, I don't think this is the case with your rescue. You haven't mentioned any real medical conditions (disease, infection, etc...) that lead me to believe that it would be better off dead. I'm not knockin' "mjf"s response, by any means, I just respectfully disagree with it in this particular situation. I know where he's coming from - been there, done that.

Mites cause dehydration, and given the infrequent tube feedings the few urination times don't surprise me much. It sounds to me that its been given just enough nutrients to survive, but not enough to overcome. I suggest maintaining the humidity level on the high end of the range - around 65 - 75%, and tube-feeding every week for at least one month.

Once you see it becoming more active you can offer it a small meal. For an 8 - 9ft Burm I'd suggest starting with a small - medium rat. The reason I suggest smaller than usual rats is to avoid a meal that could be too intimidating in size. I also suggest using F/T or pre-killed to begin with to avoid having a brash - in your face - rat intimidating the snake.

I can't stress enough how important it is to "know" what the cage temps & humidity levels are, and to be sure they're where they need to be.

I wish you all the best! Please keep us posted on how things go.

Have a good one!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

www.natures-signature.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Burm Will Not Eat On it's Own - terrylove, Tue Feb 9 23:07:06 2010

<< Previous Message:  Burm Will Not Eat On it's Own - PunJabb, Mon Feb 8 03:14:28 2010