return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mike, thank you

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jonathan_Brady at Sat Feb 13 16:45:32 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jonathan_Brady ]  

I think the very best gains could be made if all parties involved swallowed their damn pride and admitted that mistakes have been made, then agreed to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch.

Yes, reptile dealers, owners, importers, etc. have probably made mistakes by releasing, disposing, and improperly securing cages in the past. Yes, Hurricane Andrew very likely had the largest impact of any single action on the population of Burms in the ENP. The reptile enthusiasts all know this, and the scientific orgs also know this (although they're probably being misquoted repeatedly by the media so we don't think that's the situation).

Additionally, the scientific community/government orgs could and should admit that they have, in general, approached this the wrong way by trying to portray our industry as a group of stupid, irresponsible, extremists, and by choosing to publish VERY poor quality science.

If a press conference were called with the USFWS, USGS, NPS/ENP, as well as representatives from the reptile industry and we all agreed that the current route is a complete and utter waste of time and then state that we are all dedicating ourselves to a TRUE solution, I bet we could actually make some real progress.

But to do this, we'll all have to check our egos at the door, forget about the past, and bury the hatchet. I feel confident in saying that if the orgs admitted they made mistakes and were earnestly seeking our help and involvement, that our industry could probably admit the same then we could all move on (as a whole, obviously there will be individual outliers) and we could make a serious dent in this problem and ABSOLUTELY come up with better standards to prevent situations like this from happening in the future.

The question is; is this just a dream of mine? Anyone ready to swallow their pride first?

jb
-----
What's written above is purely my opinion. In fact, MOST of what you read on the internet is someone's opinion. Don't take it too seriously

Jonathan Brady
DeviantConstrictors.com
Deviant Constrictors picturetrail

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Mike, thank you - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sat Feb 13 18:12:41 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Mike, thank you - Mike_Rochford, Sat Feb 13 15:52:14 2010