return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: "Python Wars"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: flherp at Mon Feb 15 09:47:42 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by flherp ]  

Tom,

You state that "EVEN (emphasis mine) baby native crocs die in pure salt water", the implication being that other age groups are similarly affected - from the context of your own statement. I know this is not what you meant, but it is what you said. This is how easily the meaning of a statement can be misconstrued for good or ill. So I take the assertion that the study is interested in the ability of Burmese pythons to drink salt water with, well, a grain of salt.

Both Pygmies and EDBs occur in the Lower Keys and are often found on small mangrove islands on both Bay and Ocean side pretty well removed from the named keys. The native species have moved actively and passively into these areas. Arguing that it cannot be done is demonstrably false. Arguing that there are currently barriers to such a migration may be a better tack. Spending a great deal of energy dismissing US-1 as a route of migration seems to be a misallocation of time and energy.

Northern Key Largo has areas which are largely undeveloped and connected to the mainland making it an easier area for Burmese to be established and less likely to be removed, struck by a vehicle, etc. But not less likely they might be eaten by crocs. Once you get to Southern Key Largo, past MM 104 or so there is considerably more development and a large snake is not as likely to go undetected as in the more Northerly portions of Key Largo. The exception would be those swaths of land reserved for the national, state and local parks. However, I said I wouldn't make a projection about their ability to become established further South, I did not insinuate that it was not possible. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I withheld judgment on whether it was likely or unlikely. I can make an assessment of the one and withhold my opinion on anything further without more information. That is the meaning of "I wouldn't make a projection about anything further than that."

I also see a bit of development pressure on the Northern borders of the potential range for Burmese Pythons once you approach the nexus of Tampa-Orlando-Daytona (maybe even further South to the East). I am also willing to admit I don't know if the range will extend, or over what time period such an extension could occur. I would not assign a probability to such an extension at any rate. Perhaps, something which does not fit a current model (an unseasonably cold winter in South Florida and a really cold winter in the rest of the Southeast) will lead to a change in assumptions.

Instead of wondering who you are corresponding with, it is better to concern yourself with the ideas presented and developing a good counter argument. Ad hominem arguments are usually used by those who have weak counter arguments and undermine the position of that person (except on the interwebs). Poor ideas can be presented by an authority, particularly when that person is addressing a subject outside of their area of expertise - appeal to authority. The argument that the scientists are all in it for the millions of dollars of research money available is also not a compelling argument against the science - it also undermines the assertion by industry representatives that legislation will affect a billion dollar industry (who has the most to gain or lose?). Those in the industry have a bit of skin in the game and the scientists they depend on can be seen as shills for their "owners" a la Big Tobacco. Reading the original source material (however painful that may be for some) and developing legitimate questions as to the validity of assumptions, data, findings, conclusions and recommendations is a better way to address the concerns. Once that is developed, then you can approach the media so that they can completely distort what you say. I would not depend on any one's interpretation, I would look at the original source documents.

You sound like a politician or bureaucrat in the context of admitting nothing, denying everything and making counter accusations (at least the last bit is true, and the majority of that was directed at your good friend Ernie Eison (LOL)), you have been rather conciliatory on some of the positions taken by Mike Rochford. Any approach is going to take some compromise and a great deal of involvement by reptile dealers, owners and keepers.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: "Python Wars" - wstreps, Mon Feb 15 11:03:40 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: "Python Wars" - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Tue Feb 16 08:27:39 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: "Python Wars" - TOM_CRUTCHFIELD, Sat Feb 13 13:07:17 2010