return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Best starter gecko for 8 yr old brother?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: annaisagecko at Tue Feb 23 12:32:53 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by annaisagecko ]  

I understand and agree, But this was not a ill thought out plan, I've owned geckos for years now and plan on being the one "actually" caring for the reptile the cage will be in my room and he will ALWAYS be watched while doing anything with it as he always has been with mine, I don't even let him handle mine unless hes sitting on the floor and able to keep his calm.

The point of it is he wanted to learn how to have his own pet and through having one to call "his."
He is extremely bright and a very strict rule follower, But all aside he IS like you said only 8 and I realize this, My mom is ONLY considering this because of the fact that I'll be here to help him with everything and all the research and cage setup and care to be done, We are home schooled so we have the time and tools and he has the supervision of me and our mother.
Because of my reptiles hes not even allowed in my room on his own just in case.

I apologize for not including all this in the before post as I should have, And I completely understand your concern, Just know we're not just going to give him a cage and animal and say "Have at it!" lol.

I'm almost 17 so its pretty much me getting another pet with the incentive of him having to help me care for it

Like any other animal we bring into our home research will be done to insure we're providing the best possible care we can, If he proves to be unable to safely help me with its care he will no longer be able to until he can listen and pay attention to what hes doing.

It will pretty much be hands on me teaching him what I already know from the years of owning and researching them myself, I know many local herpers and have a local exotics vet.

-----
1. Leopard Gecko: Cort.
1. Crested Gecko: Fender.
1. African Dwarf Frog: no name yet.
3. Cats: Midnight, Tiger & Fluffy.
RIP.
Leo: Larry.
Crestie: Tuki.
Marbled Salamander: Ibanez.

I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am, Then Loved For Who I'm Not - Kurt Cobain.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Best starter gecko for 8 yr old brother? - WingedWolfPsion, Wed Feb 24 13:28:18 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Best starter gecko for 8 yr old brother? - WingedWolfPsion, Tue Feb 23 01:00:02 2010