return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

my 2 cents

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: eryx4 at Thu Feb 18 22:56:46 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by eryx4 ]  

the flame/superflame terms are big on the west coast, i know breeder(s) out there that are breeding dodomas into "high orange" animals and calling teh resulting offspring flames, and when an animal pops up that looks like a dodoma tis labekled a "superflame" not sure how long its ben going on but its obviously caught on, been misused and abused, and confused alot of people. dodomas have been mixed with normals since as soon as they were brought in, even by teh people that brought them in. thats why it so hard to find true pure dodomas, which are a genetically isolated locale population, and i bet if genetically studied would warrant subspecific status. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HET FOR DODOMA. unfortunately i dont think anyone thought teh mixing was important enough to be made mention of or even thought to be a bad idea in teh beginning hence why some people have what they call true dodomas but are not. the easiest way to tell a true dodoma is by teh head. its smaller, narrower, and has little to no pattern, definitely no eye stripes, and has a light spot in teh top center. usually the body pattern is reduced to separated thumbprint like spots, but i have produce pures with a bit heavier body patterning. egyptians, kenyans and rufescens were all reclassified by tokar as one species. gotta disagree though. egyptians are shorter, stouter, with smaller rounder heads, usually darker colored, have a bit of dark speckling on teh underside of teh tail, and on teh belly. rufescens are even more different, as anyone who keeps them can tell. as far as paradoxes, i would imagin snow to psnow would produce anerys het for both types, whereas albino to palbinio would produce normals het for both types. i think someone did this but cant remember who. i would want to waste time breeding animals on it. i have heard that anerys het for albino differ in color somewhat from anerys het for palbino, and have noticed som difference in the tones of my own animals het for both, but there is alot of variation with anerys anyway, as well as with albinos, snows, palbinos, and psnows. so it could just be a natural thing and not related to their het status. i dont think the splash trait has any dodoma in it, or "vanishing pattern" trait either. a couple years ago when i did some trading with mark bell at a show i traded a few dodoma babies to him and he had never seen them before. from what ive been able to gather the splash trait started to show up randomly a few years ago and the guy who does all teh sandboa breeding for them started holding them back and breeding them to each other. i do know of someone who produced some from bell line animals unexpectedly, and the numbers of teh litter seemed to indicate simple recessive inheritance. i think once a few more people breed them it will prove out that way. at one point i guess they had a ringer/pied animal, so im gonna guess it started from that if they did have it. hope some of this made sense. thanks, scott erycine1@aol.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my 2 cents - CBH, Fri Feb 19 08:12:53 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hold your horses.... - SerpentsPlus, Thu Feb 18 16:27:34 2010