return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

Number of Burms removed from ENP

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jonathan_Brady at Sat Feb 20 18:19:15 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jonathan_Brady ]  

NPS website for the Everglades

From my understanding, these numbers include animals that were found dead, and then removed. Right now, they're averaging about one per day. If we are to believe Senator Nelson's ASTRONOMICAL claims of over 150,000 of these animals, it would take 410 years to remove them all if there was a way to keep their population from growing and we kept at the one per day pace. Now THAT'S some serious federal funding!

The other way to achieve the goal in less time would be to beef up the number of people doing the trapping. We have 30 volunteers plus the staff, so let's estimate around, what, 40 people or so...? Let's assume the population is about 30,000 just for the sake of example (it's closer to the low side of the estimates of 5,000-150,000 ). At the rate of one snake per day spread over 40 people, we'll need almost 3,300 volunteers and staff to eliminate the Burmese python problem in one year.

So, there are two options. Does either sound realistic? I think not. Burms are there to stay if the numbers are high.

Now, if the numbers were closer to 5,000 or 10,000, and the cold killed half, we're now looking at 2,500-5,000. If we're going to ACTUALLY make a dent in the population, this year needs to be the year we do it. The "strike while the iron's hot" mentality.

At 5,000 burms left, we'd need approximately 550 volunteers and staff to wipe them out (if we maintained the current collection rate and it remained steady until they were all gone - which is unrealistic but this is just an example).

So, if the populations really are as low as some estimate, and the cold really did wipe out half, there is a somewhat reasonable chance that SOMETHING could be done to REALLY impact the population of these burms in the ENP. We just need a LOT of people to do it. And we need to do it now.

Another tangent here...

I've heard that many of the burms being found alive seem to be in good health and not suffering from respiratory disease. Can anyone here confirm this? Tom? Mike? Greg? It makes sense to me because my guess is respiratory infections are likely the result of an overabundance of bacteria in the air and cage in captivity. Something that wild populations don't deal with. Plus, even if temps drop down to 40 degrees in the wild at night in the ENP, when the sun comes out, the surface temperature of a rock will probably reach close to 100 or possibly even higher during the day. This is not an extreme that we allow for in captivity. So, our results in captivity do not always translate to the wild.

To illustrate this, I took my temp gun out today and measured the surface temperature of my yard, in the sun. It was 96.5 degrees. The Weather Channel said it was 64 degrees at the time. Something to remember, temperatures reported by weather agencies are ALWAYS taken in the shade, a couple of feet off the ground.

Just some thoughts for the day Toss in some of yours too!

jb
-----
What's written above is purely my opinion. In fact, MOST of what you read on the internet is someone's opinion. Don't take it too seriously

Jonathan Brady
DeviantConstrictors.com
Deviant Constrictors picturetrail

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Number of Burms removed from ENP - Upscale, Sat Feb 20 21:44:58 2010
>> Next Message:  Why not just leave them alone? - natsamjosh, Sun Feb 21 07:20:00 2010