return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Rescue

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: thefiradragon at Sun Mar 21 21:57:30 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by thefiradragon ]  

Hello,

I live in a backwater arkansas town that happens to have an "exotic" petsore that is closing down. this store has three iguanas that are in.... to put it bluntly deploarble condition.

sadly the local animal control and rescue groups can't or won't do anything for them and it breaks my heart to see them in their state they are in.

they are roughly 1.5 ft long min stuffed in a 29 gallon aquarium at htis store. no uvb, or proper diet. odds are they are a mix of the sexes, i didn't look anycloser than that.

So to cut to the chace i have some questions...

1. if there is a mix of several males to a female would nuetering all of the sexes limit the agression between them if done before they hit maturity?

2. if i made a habitat outside what would be the best way to keep them over the winter here? I know it gets too cold to keep them outside year round but I don't have the space indoors to maintain them. would it be acceptable to make a heated house? and how would be the best way to heat it?

3. for external parasite control (they will be living outside in a large pen) what works best for iguanas? we have ticks, chiggers, and god knows what else for externals. if they were mammals i know what is safe to use, but is there anything that would be safe to use on them? I have never maintained reptiles outside before

I know they are involved. most herbivorious reptiles are and that special needs are going to be doublely so. But i want to do what i can for them

thanks for your time

Ashley
-----
"I’m scared of those nasty big-eyed grey aliens, too. I think it’s that I don’t understand their motivations. I am confident of my ability to out-think, out-con, or if need be, tire-iron-upside-the-head demonic forces, ghosts and goblins, things that go bump in the night, etc. It’s the notion of something that doesn’t have any desire to talk to me except via anal probe that freaks me out"

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]