return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Ocellatas and insects

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Nino at Fri Mar 26 02:17:08 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Nino ]  

Thank you all for the answers!
Troy, I appreciate your experience with Uros, and I will certainly take your opinion in consideration.
I must point that U. ornata and U ocellata are different species though (although they do fall into same complex, along with macfaydeni, benti, and yemenensis), and their natural history might be quite different. I'm planing to buy a book "Uromastyx: Natural History, Captive Care, Breeding" by Thomas Wilms,(sept. 2005.) which aparently has strong scientific background, and natural history data should be suported by competent field studies.
In the meantime, I have found a website owned by mr. Gert Wetfahl (http://www.uros-warane.de/), a well-known german breeder of U. ocellata who keep this lizards for decades, and has produced very many generations of youngs. In the caresheet for the species he claims: babies/young lizards' diet should consist of up to 70% of insect matter, while adults should be fed up to 30% insects - the rest of the diet is vegetable matter, of course. I tried to contact mr. Westfahl, but he didn't answer my e-mail yet. Other Uromastyx breeders from France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany I had oportuity to talk to, also include insects in the diet of their ocellatas, although to a lesser extent. There seem to be quite a bit of difference in approach between European and US breeders - but the results are much the same: animals seem to thrive and breed in any of described conditions.

Best regards,
Nino

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ocellatas and insects - mahlerfan, Fri Mar 26 07:57:49 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ocellatas and insects - troy76012, Thu Mar 25 14:11:19 2010