return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is she gravid?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ScotChuck at Wed Apr 7 15:41:48 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ScotChuck ]  

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for the thorough and very timely reply. I have recived my fine vermiculite this morning ( i chose fine only to find that people generally prefer coarse!) and my hovabator has been running for 48 hours and is holding a really steady temp but i need to tweak it up a bit.

Since i posted last I have replaced the laying box on the hot side with a paving slab sat on 3 pieces of wood mimicing the rock that she was digging under on the cold side but offering her a much larger area underneath and about 3 inch depth of sand. I have positioned it so that it is half on and off the heat mat underneath to give her the choice. I then packed it with warm damp sand leaving a chuckie width gap at one end and a tunnel running in an L shape into the sand so that she can get into it.

I have been spraying under this slab daily with warm water to keep it moist. She has been paying this area lots of attention over the last couple of days and I was up till late last night listening to her digging under there. She has been sleeping in there for the last 4 nights (not digging/sleeping in the other rocky cave at all). So I am now very nervous and watching her like a hawk from the other side of the room. Her appetite has gone and she barely ate yesterday and I don't think she has eaten anything today.

I was going to prepare a box for the eggs inside the hoverbator this evening-should i soak the vermiculite and then wring it out as much as i can? A couple of air holes at each end? As i write she is in and out of the slab casve like a yoyo!

Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated

Ben

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is she gravid? - MaureenCarpenter, Wed Apr 7 15:08:41 2010