return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Korean Iguana, New Owner Concerns...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: guanakorea at Wed Apr 7 18:38:19 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by guanakorea ]  

OK, I have a green Iguana. Not exactly native to Korea. I have a lot of experience in other reptiles. Namely corn snakes, ball pythons, and tokay geckos. All of witch I've raised to adult size relatively easily.

Basically, I'm concerned about my Ig's growth rate. He/She is about 18 inches (36cm) from snout to tail tip. I've read a hell of a lot about proper diet/ uv/ humidity/ temp range and believe I'm ok in those departments.

I will however elaborate. Feeding: a variety of greens many of which are unknown to westerners. I am in korea afterall. I usually feed a variety different greens mixed with some moistened: dry, alfalfa/rabbit pellet with a tuberous green vegetable or two/ strawberries every day. By weight I try to maximize the leafy portion of the diet. Seconded by some alfalfa source and lastly by veggies/ fruits. I try new veggies frequently, just to give the Ig a semblance of a natural diet. Sheppard's Purse is often on the menu. Cheap, plentiful, and seemingly having a good Ca/P ratio. No meat protein ever.

I'm using basking lights combined with exo-terra 5.0 compact (the only UV light available here) that is within 5 inches (12 cm) of it's preferred basking spot. The temps are right. Never more than 35 C under the basking spot during the day.

I'm rambling on now. Let's cut to the chase. Jello (my Ig) Is active and alert and free ranges in a 8 by 4 foot Ig proofed kitchen. He/She takes regular warm baths and is misted often. The only problem I can foresee is that the temp frequently drops to 20C at night and Jello never gets direct sunlight (when summer comes this will be remedied).

Basically, My question is how fast are healthy juvenile green Ig's supposed to grow. I've had mine for 4 months. Jello has a good appetite. I guesstimate he's grown 2 inches in length at most. Others say more, some say he looks the same size as the day got him. Is this normal? Should I start weighing him / measuring him to make sure? He has always appeared healthy but has never seen a vet (English speaking herp vets are heard to find here).
Sheds need some help with bathing and seem to come in stages. first: head/dewlap, then: underbelly/limbs, finally tail/ back.
In the course of 2-3weeks. Though I never see the back shed; but he clearly does it by the the hue of his dorsal scales.

Any-who, I'll upload some pics if ya'll want. Any advice/ real world Ig growth rate info would be appreciated. I'm sure Jello is Korean by birth rite, not an import. Perhaps he is a spy from the north? He lives in Daegu...If you know?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  agression? - dloper2, Mon Apr 12 15:48:14 2010
<< Previous topic:  Outdoor caging - AndrewFromSoCal, Tue Apr 6 14:09:07 2010