return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Edema in rare frog

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: joeysgreen at Thu Apr 15 11:36:19 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by joeysgreen ]  

Hey everyone, I am rather distraught about a pair of Pipa parva that I recently obtained from a friend. They have bred for him but he was unable to raise the offspring and I was given the opportunity to try as I have experience with another Pipa species.

I have witnessed mating rituals (but no amplexus yet) and calling, but unfortunately one of the frogs has developed edema in the ventral thighs. Just today, there is slight build up in the front legs as well. The is no red discolouration or other signs of sepsis. The frog is behaviorally normal. I am familiar with this common edema symptom but it's usually associated with filthy husbandry. These animals are kept very well and I do not anticipate this to be the problem.

Can I ask for people's experiences in diagnosing and treating this? I am not comfortable working this out with the vets that I work with as they are not exotic experienced. This is also a frog that I will probably never have the opportunity to replace and continue the breeding program. I do have a more experienced vet I can travel to, and am basically looking for background information today.

For DDX, it still could be bacterial in nature. Distilled water is not used so that problem is ruled out. Renal, liver and cardiac problems are on the list, but unfortunately I am stumped to how to rule them in/out. This is a small frog, about 5-6cm snout to vent.

Thanks kindly for any insight you have to offer, and if anyone's veterinarian wouldn't mind passing this through the vin boards as well, that would also be most appreciated!

Ian Kanda AHT

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Edema in rare frog - OliveJewel, Thu Jun 3 23:20:42 2010