return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sexing bloods??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Blood Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WALL2WALLREPTILE at Tue Apr 27 00:48:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WALL2WALLREPTILE ]  

Both Rich and Kelly have experience with these snakes and
these guys are sources you can trust for good information.

I would also recommend that you use the Bag Technique when probing larger bloods.
Large Bloods or Short Tail Pythons can sometime struggle a little while you are attempting to determine their gender. As adults they can often easily damage their own cervical vertebrae (neck bones) while resisting being restrained.
You can determine the gender safely with only one person, if you use the Bag Technique.

Simply place your snake in a large snake bag with the tail end protruding out of the bag.
I like to do this while kneeling down on the floor...I place the bagged blood between my legs and apply just enough pressure (with my legs and rump) to secure the animal. Then, I use one hand to hold the open end of the bag around the protruding tail and I probe with the other hand.

(I have seen some people use an appropriately sized rubber band to hold the end of the bag on...then they merely grip the tail with one hand and probe with the other.)

Personally I prefer not using the rubber band.
You easily can feel if the snake tries to start nosing its way forward in an attempt to come out of the open end of the bag.
The goal is to keep the snake's head pointed the other direction.
When restrained in this manner, there is usually very little struggling.

The snakes seem to remain more calm and relaxed.
In my opinion it is much easier to determine genders when a snake is relaxed....or at least less able to move about in resistance to our curiosity about their gender...lol.

I rarely (if ever) have had a blood that will attempt to bite through the bag. I have used this method with many, many large wild collected bloods over the years and it works very well.
I must admit....when straddling a big ole blood....I do think about my own sensitive regions...and I am glad that none have tried to bite through the bag!!!! LOL.

(You could also place a good sized bath towel over top of the bagged blood to help protect your own sensitive spots.)

This is a great method of sexing larger bloods.
I have used the two person method...and it does work.
However, I feel this method is safer for the snake, as they have no ability to harm themselves while you do your work.
It also keeps them very calm.
Like anything, it requires a little practice...especially to do when you are alone. But it works great.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Good luck.

Your friend,
Harlin Wall - WALL TO WALL REPTILES!
970-255-9255
970-245-7611

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sexing bloods?? - Rich Crowley, Tue Apr 27 06:42:40 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: Sexing bloods?? - PHLdyPayne, Tue Apr 27 10:52:33 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Sexing bloods?? - Kelly_Haller, Mon Apr 26 23:44:40 2010