return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: genus change

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Sat Aug 28 15:54:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>I own a blue buety ratsnake in my large collection and have always refereed to it as ELLAPHE TAENURA (spelling may be off)
>>i heared people call these buy a new genus and I want to call it the correct name
>>
>>-thanks

The name I prefer is Elaphe taeniura.

Yes, it is true that some people call it "Orthriophis taeniurus". The reason behind that is that Elaphe was splintered into a dozen or so different genera because someone (Utiger et al.) published a scientific paper and showed that the ratsnakes form different mitochondrial DNA lineages. Duh! Any group of species can be divided this way. You can even divide populations within a single species (e.g. Charina bottae, Lampropeltis zonata or Homo sapiens) into different mitochondrial DNA lineages.

Therefore the question is not whether there are different mtDNA lineages, but whether these lineages are disaparate morphologically from one another enough to merit being placed in different genera. The answer is a resounding no. These genera that the fashionable adopt cannot be distinguished from one another. Not even professional herpetologists/snake experts can tell you the difference morphologically. People use these new genus names because they assume these are the most current and therefore correct names, not because they know there is a difference between Elaphe and "Orthriophis" or between "Orthriophis" and "Pantherophis." Therefore I totally reject the proposal to recycle these tongue twisting and long forgotten names from the taxonomic garbage bin. It is Elaphe guttata, Elaphe mandarina and Elaphe taeniura to me. Pantherophis, Orthriophis and Euprepriophis are totally unnecessary names, as unnecessary as nose rings and tongue piercings. They only make scientific communication and information retrieval more difficult and are therefore counterproductive. Nevertheless the new names do appeal to the fashionable, in much the same way that body piercings do. If others disgree and claim that there is a legitimate reason for the new names, then tell them to tell you the difference between Elaphe and Orthriophis! They cannot because there isn't any.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  genus change - mikebannon, Sat May 8 13:39:45 2010