return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Will my Russian Tort respect heights?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kaspar_carr at Sat May 15 12:30:48 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kaspar_carr ]  

I tried the ol' google.com but after 10 minutes it became clear how difficult it is to phrase this search properly...

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building with an eastern facing balcony. Today is a beautiful clear and sunny day so naturally Keishon - my adult male Russian tortoise - just HAD to go out on the balcony for a little sun and fresh air.

The balcony has a rail but the spacing from the deck to the rail is just gapped enough to let him walk right off the ledge if he chose to. So far, he knows to walk right to the edge, plop right down on his shell with feet stretched out in all four directions and peer his stretched neck and head out to look down and around at all the happenings going on below and on the busy street below.

My question is, even though he hasn't tried to make a jump for it, and he doesn't seem depressed, will my little trooper ever stupidly walk off the ledge? Are tortoises known for cliff diving? The worst thing that can happen is he'd fall into a big bush below but still I don't think I'd want him falling 3 stories.

Is it safe to let him hang out on the deck without fear of him becoming a lemming? Has anyone else allowed their Russian males to play on their balconies (without supervision) without worrying that he'll jump off the ledge? He usually just comes back to the door and walks inside when he's sick of being outside. Like a cat, really. I should build him a tortoise door.

And if you haven't seen this yet, it's very funny:
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/dog-rides-a-turtle/20dbqodn

Thanks gang!

=the infamous kaspar carr=

p.s. I picked up Keishon today and noticed he has a bluetooth MAC address sticker on his underside shell. That's good because I've been trying to figure out how I was going to pair him with my bluetooth headset and Motorola Droid. now I can finally sync my Russian Tortoise contacts and calendar with my work email. =P
dog rides on a tortoise

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Will my Russian Tort respect heights? - bradtort, Sat May 15 13:00:28 2010 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Will my Russian Tort respect heights? - Rgraves, Sun Apr 29 15:03:46 2012