return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Keeping the Critters Out!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: emysbreeder at Mon May 24 10:10:10 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by emysbreeder ]  

I put up 5'chain link around 2.6 ac. One expence I did not figgure was clearing the fence line! I was worn out before I started and a few grand over budget. My tortoises are not diggers so I did not put any of it underground. I have a friend that put 1 ft.under ground for Galup's. Very labor intensive. On my fence I put sheet metal at the bottom on the inside. Between the metal (1-2' high)I put this black shade cloth kinda stuff to keep the metal and chain link from rubbing against each other as not to cause ware/rust damage. It also looks better from your neighbors view point. Also along the bottom on the inside I placed landscape timbers. They will rot over time but startes a burm or build up of dirt that can be planted with seeds. This bottom metal has several purposes. Most animals on the outside tend to move along it rather than try to go umder. It will keep your torts from climbing up and turning over from being able to see that grass that is always greener on the other side. Some of the metal I used was from the walls of above ground swimming pools,cut long ways down the middle. No fun but a real money saver. People throw this stuff away all the time. 5v roof metal is also good for interior walls. Now to keep animals out. Ele.wire might work. Overhanging tree limbs,trees close to the fence is a way for entry.(I did not do this because I needed the shade.) Lastly, and this could be the "best"or "worst" thing you will ever do with tortoises, A DOG. Its the fine line bewteen stability and chaos.Here is what I did. I went to the animal shelter to pick out a big dog I thought could handle Racoons. I brought a tortoise with me and placed it in the fenced area they have for you to get to know the dog. This dog sniffed the tort then lost instrest. That was a good sign but not a sure thing. I took a lot of time handeling the tort.around the dog and felt OK about it. Most of the time Racoons avoid dogs so a walk around the fence line with the dog every so often helps when they leave a marker or two as they go. When its dry they will take chances with dogs. She's a keeper! Molly, A 90 lb.verifyed Racoon killer! Vic Morgan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Keeping the Critters Out! - emysbreeder, Mon May 24 10:50:54 2010

<< Previous Message:  Keeping the Critters Out! - tripletoes, Sun May 23 21:27:47 2010 image in post