return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Transporting Rodents c/c UPDATE

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: blueselaphe at Sat Jul 3 04:11:37 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by blueselaphe ]  

Well after the move from hell - this is how it went down.
I culed most of the rats. The begining of June marked a rotation date for most of my female rats so I had a small herd of 12 on hand, all from great producers. I held back one male albino whose mother was a seal point and his mother, for a pet project. I scrubbed out the most solid rack I had, a 6 level and packed the live rats in mouse cages. They all rode in the truck with me and two rabbits and about 60 snakes. They were nervous....
The frozen end, I packed all the frozen in a new cooler that has a 5 day ice life. I used dry ice to keep things solid. This worked for about a week. I schedued all my overnights near a place that had dry ice with the intent to re-ice the cooler every night. This failed on night one as my first stop had run out of dry ice in 1998 and never re-ordered..... The frozen rodents were not lost though! I donated them to a side of the road attraction that had reptiles (South of the Boarder on I-95 at the boarder of South and North Carolina)..
All the live made it and the frozen are in use.. So I am counting this plan as a 80% sucess.. I still had to hit LLL reptile up for 25 rat pups the other day.....
-Blue

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Transporting Rodents cross country..Help - PHLdyPayne, Sat Jun 12 12:11:10 2010