return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Food Size for Womas

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dleary946 at Fri Jun 11 20:15:39 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dleary946 ]  

I have had a new female Woma python for about a week and a half now and she's seemed to settle into her new quarters really well. She is as beautiful as all the Woma pictures I've seen on the net. Also impressive is that she's a highly visible and good 'display' snake - she seems to come out of her hides quite often and explore, soak up heat, etc.

The supplier I bought her from said she was alternating live adult mice and live rat pups, feeding one of those rodents to the snake once a week. I have already fed her a live "rat pup" and she ate it with gusto. I have also seen her drink water, and she's also had a bowel movement.

I intend to convert her to pre-killed rats, then f/t. My question for now, though, has to do with the size of the rodents she is fed. Normally the rule is that you can feed a rodent a little larger than the largest diameter of the snake's body. -- Does this apply to the Woma also, being that the Woma's head is smaller in proprotion to its body - more like that of a colubrid? I wonder if I should feed something smaller than her diameter because of this.

She is about 3' long and at her largest diameter is about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Another thing I've read is that feeding Womas on a strict diet of rats-only can be bad for them. Is this a common belief?

Thanks,

David
Cary, NC

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Coastal Carpet - footballsnake, Sat Jun 12 19:23:42 2010
<< Previous topic:  My Cape Yorks neck inflates.... - Joker420, Wed Jun 9 12:40:20 2010