return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: mite solution number nine

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sonya at Wed Jun 23 14:28:49 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sonya ]  

>>Ive had a mite issue with an imported biak island green tree python. time after time i eliminate the mites with good old fashioned soap and water only to have a reinfestation every time i feed because she will only take live prey and i have deduced this is were the mites are coming from. slowly but surely i am acclimating her to frozen thawed mite free food but until then it is a slug fest with these bugs! I have started using natural chemistry reptile spray on the snake in combination with a pyrethrins based dog and cat flea spray for the enclosure. the flea spray is actually intended to be used on the animal but i am utilizing it on the cage.... and so far so good. my main issue is not eliminating the mites but actually preventing them. i guess i could wash the prey but the idea of soaping up a live mouse or rat seems a bit rediculous not to mention i suspect it would ruin the smell and the snakes appetite. please feel free to voice any comments or criticisms.
>>thanks
>>Jason

Soap and water is not eliminating the mites. If they are pepper specks on the snake they are likely reptile mites that came on the snake and are reinfesting from eggs the soap will not kill and mites still on the snake or in the enclosure and surrounding area. Mites from rodents will not infest your snake. These are not the same bugs and if the rodents were infested by mammal mites you would see them on the prey animals. If the prey is coming with mites stop getting them from that source.

Personally I am amazed you haven't killed your snake with cat/dog spray. I have always used Provent A Mite and others have good luck with the walmart headlice spray. Safe to use on the enclosure.
-----
Sonya

I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.
Happy Bunny

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  lice spray guestion - clee4560, Wed Jun 23 21:38:39 2010
<< Previous topic:  Red Rat Snake egg incubation need help - anthonym9, Mon Jun 21 14:09:01 2010