return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Advice for RES with cracked plastron

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gsteindr at Mon Aug 9 02:02:42 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gsteindr ]  

I have repaired numerous cracked shells in tortoises and turtles, but am not that familiar with the acronyms (RES?). Still, the repair techniques are pretty straightforward and involve cleaning the cracked shell and drying it, and applying an antiseptic cream (Silvidine works great, though neosporin can work, too) into the crack and wipe it carefully from the rest of the plastron. Then, depending on the size of the crack, either just apply a 5 minute epoxy, and let it dry well before letting your pet run around again (best to keep it on a plastic or glass surface first before putting it either in water or on paper or something it will stick to permamently.. epoxy always takes longer to completely dry than they say). If there is a large gap between the pieces of shell, a material will need to be put down before you epoxy to keep the epoxy from oozing down into the deeper tissues. This can be anything from fiberglass material (used to fix holes in kayaks for example) or just a piece of clean plastic (I usually use x-ray film). If the animal is larger and there is a lot of pressure at the fracture site, I drill holes through either side ofthe plastron in mulitple areas and feed surgical wire though and tighten the wire down, and then go one with the repair (you might want your vet to do that part, though it is not all that difficult to do... just need a good clean drill bit- since I am a vet, I have access to a dental drill and that works great).

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Frozen Rodent Irradiation??????????? - mingdurga, Fri Jul 30 10:32:19 2010
<< Previous topic:  lice spray guestion - clee4560, Wed Jun 23 21:38:39 2010