return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Once again, Aaron...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aaron at Sun Jul 11 02:21:16 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aaron ]  

I did some measurements on a map and it looks like the light colored limestones extend in a backwards "L" shape varying in width from about 1 to 4 miles. The verticle arm extends over 20 miles to the north and the horizontal arm about 15 miles to the west. So this would be somewhere between 35 to 140 square miles. All evidence suggests that the light colored limestone is the merely the epicenter from which the blondes radiate because as you said, blondes have even been found outside the area of light colored limestone.

One thing you didn't mention was that virtually all blonde subocs that have been collected, have come from just one road. The part of the road that actually passes through the light colored limestone is only about 50 feet wide and goes for about 5 miles. So the actual area that people are collecting from represents only one half of one square mile. That would leave somewhere between 34 and a half, to 139 and a half square miles of typical blonde suboc habitat that virtually never gets collected. If my math is correct, collecters are only accessing somewhere between .33 to 3.0 percent of prime blonde habitat. Thinking about it the other way, somewhere areound 97 to 99.66 percent of blonde suboc's habitat is never even hunted.

From those estimates I think it's pretty obvious that collecting blondes from such a small portion could not possibly have any effect on the genetics within that area as a whole regardless of whether one was taking adults, young or even both. Especially considering that blondes have even been found on parts of the road far outside the area of light colored limestone. Although I do admit the vast majority have been from the part of the road that passes through it. As I said that still leaves well over 90% of prime blonde habitat untouched with who knows how much sub-prime blonde habitat untouched as well.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Once again, Aaron... - dustyrhoads, Sun Jul 11 11:44:16 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Once again, Aaron... - dustyrhoads, Fri Jul 9 23:54:25 2010