return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

My new Cordylus! (Is it Tropidosternum?)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CartoonKitsune79 at Tue Jul 6 10:42:59 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CartoonKitsune79 ]  

Hello everyone. I added an adorable new lizard to my critter family about a week ago.
He was listed as an 'armadillo lizard', and when I went home to research before my purchase, and make sure I had the right spare supplies on hand, I learned he was probably a 'forest' a.k.a. 'tropical' armadillo lizard'- Cordylus Tropidosternum (the common pet store much cheaper alternative to the 'true' armadillo lizards)

Although there were a few other cordylus species I saw online that looked similar enough, so my 1st inquiry is a verification on whether it is Tropidosternum or not.
Also, she is about 6 1/2", which is what I read is full grown for these lizards. Is this true or will she get bigger?

Sadly, there isn't much info on Cordylus, so I am hoping I am giving her correct care so far for a 'tropical desert' area. She has a sand-soil substrate, a few stacked flat slate pieces, a branch that she can climb as well as hide under, a small pool she enjoys soaking in, a couple of leafy plants in one corner, and a food bowl.
I have been giving her a variety of insects including crickets, mealworms, and baby dubia roaches. I use the vitamins & calcium powder I use for my bearded dragons, and she has a temperature gradient that ranges from 103 degrees at the hottest basking spot with a multi step gradient down to 98, 92, and the cool side is 80.
If anyone experienced recommends anything changed, let me know. This is all gathered from the little bit of info online as well as instinct and observing what she likes.

Also, is there any way to tell if she is more likely male or female? From what I have read, females commonly have a more slender head and fatter tummies then males. Mine seems to have a slender head (though I can't compare it to anything) and she has a chunky, round tummy. So I have been calling her 'she'.

But anyway, I am so glad that I bought this little lizard! She opened a whole new lizard world for me! I have had bearded dragons, different geckos, emerald swifts. But I had never heard of the genus Cordylus before! And it's a shame because they are such cool little lizards! I would have started keeping these long ago if I knew they existed

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My new Cordylus! (Is it Tropidosternum?) - RickGordon, Sun Jul 18 23:39:47 2010