return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

How to stimulate stars

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kura at Tue Jul 27 11:26:41 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kura ]  

Hello!
I live in Northern Europe and I am the happy owner of 3 Sri Lankan Star tortoises - 2,1. I got them 10 years ago as hatchlings. The female now weighs more than 2,7 kilos and she is still growing. In the winter months I keep them inside all the time. In the summer I sometimes put them outside in the greenhouse when the sun is shining. In the middle of the day I sprinkle with water to imitate rain. I always bring the tortoises inside early in the evening. When the weather on a rare occasion is very hot they are allowed to get outside for some hours.
3 years ago the female produced 2 unviable eggs but since then nothing has happened. Besides from sniffing her out the males are not interested in the female at all. But sometimes they "pair" each other - very passionately and loud!! I would of course like to breed my tortoises. Especially since the female has a very attractive pattern. So I would like to know if some of you guys have a "foolproof" way to do so?
First obstacle seems to be to turn the males interest towards the female instead of each other. Any suggestions why they prefer each other to the female? My own guess is that it is some kind of dominating behavior.
I have thought about isolating the males from the female in the winter months in the hope this will stimulate the males to become interested in the female. Does any of you have experiences with this? Perhaps I should even isolate the males from each other?
I am also quite interested in more information about the possibility of male tortoises becoming sterile from overheating. "zovick" mentioned this in a recent statement. I have kept my tortoises very warm over the years to avoid colds etc. This seems to have been very successful. They have never been sick. However if excessive heat can make them sterile I seem to have made a huge mistake. So - how much heat is too much? And is it permanent or reversible damage?
Kura

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How to stimulate stars - kura, Tue Jul 27 11:30:54 2010 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: How to stimulate stars - zovick, Tue Aug 3 19:37:01 2010