return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: In memoriam of a Chrysopelea ornata ssp.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rear-Fanged ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: deathstalker at Tue Aug 3 13:25:04 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by deathstalker ]  

Thank You!

That is a nice looking specimen - was it Acrochordus javanicus, or Acrochordus arafurae, do You know? Looks like the latter, but it is difficult to tell.

The genus Acrochordus are highly unique and make great display animals if You can actually see them, heh. Interestingly, they are so unique--biologically, physiologically, and so forth--that some scientists/biologists hesitate to call them snakes believe it or not! Id est, yes, some consider them a different animal...!

They are a high maintainence genus to keep (more with Acrochordus granulatus), but if You do the studying here: www.acrochordus.com and make the time, You can do it. ***I will be making a caresheet for A. granulatus soon, including everything that did and did not work (my "trials and errors" so to speak). NOTE: Unless it is extremely necessary, do NOT--I repeat, DO NOT--hold these animals!! They are simply a look and do NOT touch genus! They have very delicate bone and muscle structure when out of the water. And, of course, the possible tendency to bite in the cases of A. javanicus and A. arafurae which, according to stories, hold on and don't let go, ha! Contrary to 'historical' belief, A. granulatus are not venomous.

Thanks for the response!!

Sincerely
Timothy

P.S. I will try to take a picture or two of Flaps to post on here, but You can check out those videos at www.acrochordus.com and YouTube to hold You over.

>>Very cool tribute!
>>
>>I had the pleasure of meeting my first elephant trunk snake recently on a trip to reptile gardens. Very unusual snake with an amazing feel. As Terry pulled it out, he did warn me that the chances of getting bit were pretty high, but I missed that bullet. Here are a few shots...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>-----
>>Cindy Steinle
>>PHFaust
>>Visit kingsnake on Facebook!
>> Follow Kingsnake on Twitter!
-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: In memoriam of a Chrysopelea ornata ssp. - PHFaust, Wed Aug 4 11:58:30 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: In memoriam of a Chrysopelea ornata ssp. - PHFaust, Tue Aug 3 10:05:49 2010