return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

A few questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tokay Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Z_G_Reptiles at Thu Aug 5 10:25:10 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Z_G_Reptiles ]  

Hey, I usually post on the boa, rainbow boa, and blood python forums, I mainly keep boas and pythons with just a few colubrids. Well yesterday at work my supervisor came up to me and said there’s a big lizard on the said of our building by the door on the outside if I wanted to see it, well I live in south east Texas so I wasn’t prepared to see a Tokay hanging out on the side of our aluminum building. Being a non native species, it must have had to of gotten away from someone, I felt it’s my responsibility as a responsible keeper/hobbyist to catch it and not let it just roam the North Houston area.

Give you guys a little background on the weather lately, it’s been in the 100’s and yesterday we had a heat index of 110F, and this poor thing was on the metal building so it must have been even hotter. It was pretty easy to catch so I figured the heat and lower humidity it must be dehydrated and over heated so I put it in a small Rubbermaid and put it inside the office which is about 75F until I went home. It’s about 8” or so, and does not have very noticeable pores on the V shape like males do so I assume it’s a female. When I got home I set up a cage for it.

This is how I set it up, it’s a 29g tall aquarium with over 75% of the screen covered by plastic to help hold in humidity, yes I know screens are horrible but it’s all I had as I wasn’t expecting to be bringing home a new little pet. Coconut husk for a substrate, a shallow water dish about an inch deep, large/med half long hides set up vertical a small fake vine, the foam background from an exo terra cage on 1 side that goes about half way up, and a heating pad under the tank on one side of the cage.

After I set this up I persuaded the tokay into the cage with a small snake hook, I didn’t want to pick it up as I didn’t want to stress it even more, and sprayed the cage down heavily with the tokay in it to help get it hydrated, which it didn’t move when I did that barely at all and stayed in the same spot till I went to sleep and turned real dark. This morning I went to spray it again which is was now on the fake vine. And darted between the log hides soon as I came near the cage and her color was lighter again (I was thrilled that it seemed to be doing better.)

My house is about 78-79F in the day time about mid wall and 73-74F at night, with the heating pad under the cage I assume this will be adequate, am I correct with this?

Does it sound like I have the cage set up properly? From what I’ve read I’m pretty sure I do but from keepers experience I feel is always better then something you just find on the internet.

Feeding how often do you feed these? I know it says a variety of insects, they listed several, and dust their food with a multi vitamin every other feeding but they all failed to mention how often to feed. Also do you recommend a multi vitamin, which I don’t have, or would a calcium supplement work? I have this.

Any other tips or thoughts feel free to ask, and thanks in advance for answering some of my questions

Zack

-----

Zack Greens Reptiles

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereA few questions - Z_G_Reptiles, Thu Aug 5 10:25:10 2010 *HOT TOPIC*

>> Next topic:  IDN Press: 'Tokay Gecko from H***?' - W von Papineäu, Tue Aug 31 11:45:07 2010
<< Previous topic:  funny gekko story - crocacutus, Tue Jun 29 09:19:44 2010