return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Question about Crested Gecko Diet.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Fri Aug 13 16:30:37 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

Currently there are two brands of crested gecko diet. The original one to hit the market made by T-Rex Sandfire Superfoods or just Repashy Superfoods... It comes in two forms..the complete diet or the two part diet (base plus nectar). I used the complete one part diet for all of my crested and gargoyle geckos, as it is the easiest to work with. Just two parts water to one part powder.

A single 1.75 oz jar lasts about a month with two adult geckos, but I usually buy 4oz or 8oz bags of the diet at reptile shows. You can order the bags online as well. Buying the small jars at the local petstore ended up costing far more than I would pay for an equal amount if I bought the bigger bags. The powder has a year or more shelf life, so its great to buy one 8 oz bag a year, instead of 10 jars a year and end up paying 3 times as much.

The other brand of CGD is Clark's Gecko diet. Originally this was just a semi-meal replacement powder, as it didn't contain protein, so it was necessary to feed insects regularly with the diet. However, Clark now has a complete gecko diet which contains protein, so feeding insects as well as the powder is no longer necessary. I have used this diet a few times but I don't find it is as good as the Repashy diet. It is made out of a lot of egg yolk and I find it tends to be coarser than the Repashy diet. Also, being egg yolk based, it doesn't keep as long as the other diet when mixed.

Nutrition wise, I think both are pretty much the same and some crested geckos tend to like one more than the other.

Both brands are mixed one part powder to two parts water, the only difference is the Clark's diet requires warm water. Repashy's diet can be used with cool or room temperature water)

Just a note of clarification, T-Rex Sandfire Diet and Repashy Superfoods are the same product...Repashy developed the diet and T-Rex distributes/manufactures it, from the way I understand it.

For your caging question, if the screen lids fit tightly and can't be easily pushed up, you probably don't need clamps...but as mentioned, if you have other pets or younger children who may dislodge the lid, its safer to have the clamps on. I never bothered with clamps as I don't use glass tanks for my geckos, but tight lidded sterlite containers.
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Question about Crested Gecko Diet. - Argos_Mom, Fri Sep 3 17:07:11 2010

<< Previous Message:  Question about Crested Gecko Diet. - Tom_Malloy, Thu Aug 12 19:26:24 2010 *HOT TOPIC*