return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Species/setup questions:

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: KevinM at Sun Sep 5 13:33:36 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by KevinM ]  

Well IMO coloration is a personal preference, so its really a matter of what you like. If you are into the solid bright colors, than a male yellow are red Saharan/geyeri may be more up your alley. If you like the prismatic blues and greens on a neat pattern, then the ornate would be a good choice. You are correct, the males of all the uro species (with the possible exception of the egyptian uro, which are pretty drab even as adults but are huge and usually have good temperaments)are more colorful than females. From what I have seen, female ornates are probably the most colorful female species. As far as determining male from female at an early age, it ususally is hard to do and most breeders probably cannot guarantee sex of babies. You may want to shop around and spend the extra money for an adult in that case to know what you are getting in terms of sex and coloration.

As far as the mercury vapor light, you need to make sure the light dome is rated for the power. Most of the commerical dome lights made for reptiles have ceramic bases which can handle the heat generated. A cheapo plastic base would melt. So, go with a ceramic based dome fixture and make sure it can handle the wattage of the light bulb you plan to use.

I think elevated basking spots are great. First, you can use a less powerful bulb in general as the uro will be able to get closer to the ideal basking temp, or further, as desired. Instead of having to use a 150 watt bulb to get the basking temp to 120 degrees at the bottom of the tank, you may only need to use a 100 watt or less bulb to get the basking temp to 120 degrees neared to the bulb. The elevated basking spots can also act as hides. Breeders of small monitors use a stack hide which consists of several levels of boards each separated by an inch or so so the lizards can chose what level/temp to be at and still be secure and hidden.

I am by no means a uro expert, but hopefully this info will help. In general, uros are not the pet lizards that bearded dragons and leopard geckos are known to be. Some uros never acclimate to handling, nor is it good to keep them away from their heat sources for long periods of time. They are not sit and hold while watching TV for an hour lizards. If thats what you are looking for, I would suggest a bearded dragon. With all the morphs available, you can get some very bright colored beardeds. Also, my bearded dragon is accustomed to eating canned insects along with greens, so I never really have buy live feeders.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Species/setup questions: - gtramontelli, Fri Sep 3 12:46:29 2010
    • You Are HereRE: Species/setup questions: - KevinM, Sun Sep 5 13:33:36 2010

>> Next topic:  Zucchini Flowers - malves85, Sun Sep 5 22:35:10 2010
<< Previous topic:  Dwarf Sudans - maryellensilver, Thu Sep 2 22:00:27 2010