return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: zoonotic diseases

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sonya at Thu Sep 23 18:31:46 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sonya ]  

>>I can't say that I have. I have to admit, I find it somewhat interesting that you may have had Rocky M.Spotted Fever. I've only learned about it, but it is one of those diseases I've never come across. Does the test measure antibody response, or the pathogen itself? This can affect why a potentially false negative may be given. Of course, other diseases are a possibility. This is an area of weakness for me as I don't follow zoonosis very much.
>>
>>Ian

I have an old friend that got RMSF while vacationing in Colorado in the 80s. He spent time in the ICU and all. VERY sick.

and an associate of my sister had it in Nebraska not long ago and was dying and saying bye to his family when they decided to treat with doxycycline and saved him. NOT a fun disease. And if what I had/have is any example I would not wish it on my worst enemy. What started feeling like the achiness of a flu went to a pain so horrid that I couldn't move, that to move my gown on my skin made me scream.(and I am not a sissy)The lumbar puncture and subsequent migraine and vomitting were a slight nuisance compared to how I felt in every joint.

The couple three doctors told me that the test for Rocky Mt Spotted Fever is pretty accurate...but the disease I had was very likely a rickettsia (same family)....one of a couple hundred possiblities. Not Erlichosis (tested negative for that too.) I can't even name all the tests run. I know I have had two negative Lymes two years apart. I have had some pneumonias ruled off...only because along with a twinge of the ricketsia I had pneumonia three times in July and Aug. FINALLY feel human again after a week in hospital on three different antibiotics for five days and then home on ten more days of another. I love my doctor for putting me there and kindly insisting I stay there. So we either beat the pneumonia and rickettsia back or out entirely. Since the rickettsia reoccured two years later(while I had pneumonia in July) I am pessimistic about saying goodbye to it yet. But hopefully.

Part of the delay initially, in 2008 with my treatment was the doctors being intent that I had something from one of my 'exotics'. They ran all sorts of tests over the first three or four days - all negative. And by the way the test for Rocky Mt SF came back a week and a half AFTER I was released from the hospital....so it took nearly three weeks to run. Now I am quick to remind them that it was from a DOG TICK. And yes, it has made me much more aware of zoonotics and BUGS!
-----
Sonya

I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.
Happy Bunny

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: zoonotic diseases - joeysgreen, Sat Sep 25 21:42:24 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: zoonotic diseases - joeysgreen, Thu Sep 23 18:10:46 2010